Friday, December 4, 2009

Day Six-six Our Final Day




This is it!! Our last day in England. I know this is hard to believe, but we’re literally on our last roll of toilet paper and paper towels; I scraped the bottom and sides of the peanut butter this morning for one last piece of toast, then tossed it in the trash; and, the deodorant, soap, hairspray, toothpaste and laundry detergent we bought on arrival will barely make it for one final use. These are all signs that it’s time to go home! Last night we had a final meal with Justin, Sherry, and Kelly. Tonight, at formal dinner, we’ll say our good-byes to our college friends. And this will be my final blog. The journey is complete.
We stayed in England long enough for the scenery to become secondary to the people. We’re all different, but for me, that is as it should be. I have never been one to be so caught up in a “place” that I don’t value the people more. That’s why I have never enjoyed traveling alone. For me, if I can’t share a majestic sunset or a field of daisies or a snow covered mountain with someone dear to me, it’s hardly worth it. Don’t get me wrong, I can see the beauty and appreciate God’s mighty hand in His creation; I just want to watch someone else’s face as they see it too. The feeling that comes from “oohing” and “aahing” with another human is irreplaceable. I’m sure you’ve experienced it. Like at a fireworks display at a New Years celebration when the colors light up the sky and the entire crowd sighs in unison and you look to the one nearest you for an affirming nod and smile. That’s the feeling.
In our ten weeks abroad we toured seen war torn castles and restored English manors, climbed stairs to dark prison cells and powerful bell towers, dined in seasoned pubs and extravagant palaces, marveled at intricate stained glass windows and magnificent steeples that point to the heavens, and relaxed in soothing Roman hot baths and luxurious hotel rooms. Over time, only our photographs will bring those memories back to the powerful status they currently hold as places and things are eventually replaced with other places and things--and memories fade. But names, people, like Tim, Fiona, Justin, Sherry, Sierra, Skylar, Kelly, Andrew, Davis, Isabella, Myra, and Jules will never be replaced.
People are never replaced. Like stacking dominoes one by one, our relationships become an awesome display of God’s most precious gifts. Unlike dominoes, where the higher the pile the more likely you are to lose them, our friendship pile can continue to grow as one inevitably leads and connects to another as if it’s held together with a magic human glue stick. And with each addition, each new friendship, we are challenged to get closer to heaven as we learn to communicate, adjust, make allowances for, delight in, speak kindly to, and love each different personality.
A place never demands the best out of us. Conditions might, like a driving wind or slippery black ice. A condition might require us to be patient, still, or understanding, for a time, but it never requires us to be kind and loving. Only people can bring out those Christ-like qualities that will serve us well when we reach our final destination. But, places can bring out the best of God. His natural creations can never be rivaled by something man-made. Beyond the castle sits the rolling hills sprinkled with sheep and cows and horses and one is almost dared to decide which demands our attention more. God’s creation always wins out. And so, we’re back to people. God’s creation always wins out over man’s. If given the chance to view one more castle or even one more sunset or one last glimpse of a child, parent, or spouse, my guess is we’ll all go for the loved one every time.
Thank you for sharing this journey with me. As I said in the beginning, I love to share my experiences in person, but it was also great fun to record our adventures for others to read. I had never blogged and I thank you for being a part of my first blogging experience. When I told someone at the college on our second day here that I planned to blog, he commented that it would be quite a discipline. I hadn’t really thought of it that way, but he proved to be right. It was a discipline. I think I learned as much from blogging about our adventures as living through them.
Finally, Dorothy said it best when she clicked her ruby red slippers together and declared, “There’s no place like home.” This statement is said by thousands every day. From soldiers in Iraq to vacationers in Hawaii to students at Harding, at the end of the day, it’s great to go home.
“Your life is a journey you must travel with a deep consciousness of God.” I Peter 1:18
Love you all and will see you soon. You’ve been great blogging buddies.
Hugs, 2 Mama and 2 Papa

1 comment:

  1. Amazing dear cousin...you managed to save the best of your magnificent blogs for the last. Blessings,
    CuzR

    ReplyDelete