Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Trip of a Lifetime

I am so sad today as we learned of the death of Jack, who was the first of my twenty-five first cousins on my dad's side of the family. He lost a hard-fought battle of sixteen months with cancer. No one could have asked for a more honorable person to lead the way for twenty-five young and impressionable cousins. He was a soldier of impeccable character, an accomplished athlete, a loving husband, a proud father and grandfather, and a faithful follower of God. He will be greatly missed.

Aevin is spending the night tonight. I'm trying to spend some quality time with each grandchild before the trip. We went on a date to WalMart--a child's dream come true. We bought a toy and a chocolate bar. When you're five, does it get any better than that? It's a school night so I managed to get him in bed by ten. I figure if he's asleep by 10:30 and up at 6:30 that's eight hours. Not too bad. After all, losing an hour of sleep is worth it for quality time with your grandmother. At least that's my assessment.

After I put him in bed, I thought I should do something to start getting ready for our trip. I looked around my room at the empty suitcases and thought again of Jack. We're sad and already miss him, but he's on the journey of a lifetime. No suitcases needed, as God has already prepared a mansion, fully equipped, for Jack. The suitcases are just for those of us left behind. We're the ones who will still go places that don't come fully equipped. If someone said we would need to pack a suitcase for Heaven, what would I put in it? I can't think of a single thing except my family. It's not like being chosen for survivor and getting to take three things from home. A trip to a deserted island is different. No doubt, I would take my Bible, an Ipod and Maybelline Very Black Mascara. But, a trip to Heaven. No need for a Bible; I'm sure I'll have access to the word of God. And the music is probably piped in so no IPod will be needed. Mascara...nope, I'll be quite content with my pale eyelashes. After all, Philippians 3:20 tells me, "...there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him." Yes, Heaven will be the ultimate vacation destination---no packing necessary. I guess I better close for the night. I'm off to sleep with Aevin and to watch Dancing with the Stars. Aevin's a kicker so I won't sleep much anyway. TV will be a diversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment