Monday, November 9, 2009

Day Forty-one Back to Normal Day


With Mom and John Luke safely back at work and school in West Monroe, we got back to our “new” normal routine. 2 Papa dug back into planning our future travels, the book he’s working on, and sorting through his coupons for dinner tonight. I begin my next project. I’m afraid this one will take the next four weeks in Oxford and then some, but I’m dedicated to it. My great-grandfather, Edmond J. Gardner, left a handwritten ledger of the Choctaw Indians who settled in Southeast Oklahoma after the Trail of Tears. In 1831, the Choctaws were the first Indian tribe to be removed from what was called the Deep South (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama) and taken to Oklahoma, freeing up land for the mass of incoming white settlers.
Born in 1877, Edmond J. Gardner, passed away at age 59, but his legacy is still felt today as most of his large numbers of proud descendants know his name and his contribution to Indian history. How thrilling it was for me to read his obituary that stated “no one in this section of Oklahoma was better acquainted with the early history of Oklahoma than he.” As you can imagine, the pages of this inspiring project are extremely fragile; some are disintegrating and have to be lifted with great care. I am honored to be given the job of re-recording his words and making them available to all who are interested. It would be a shame for his words to be forever lost.
Today was a burrrr-cold day, but we still walked to college for lunch. As weird as it was five weeks ago, it is now normal to walk everywhere. It’s great exercise and gives us time to soak up the beauty of the day, even with chattering teeth. It wasn’t truly freezing, like below 32 freezing, but it was 39 degrees and for us southerners, that’s cold! Thinking today’s temperature might be what we have until we leave, I felt obligated to go to the mall and buy a couple of turtlenecks. I brought two with me (what was I thinking?) and I wear one every day. Since I’m no Phil Robertson who can wear the same clothes straight through hunting season, I needed a few more. Plus, I’m getting really tired of brown and black.
While I was shopping, 2 Papa went to the train station to finish up our travel plans. All done! He was so excited because he got a special deal on the train fare and had a coupon for dinner tonight. Just like at home, he’s started his coupon collection and loves to hand it to the waiter. Tonight, we saved 20%, which is extremely good. I really am proud of my coupon-clipper and travel planner. He does a great job of both.
Today also found me searching for a beauty shop. When I left Monroe, I knew this day would come, but it’s pretty scary when I see some of the hairdos walking around Oxford, especially since no one over forty even has a hairdo. But, I’m in desperate need of a root touch-up, so the search is on. I didn’t feel comfortable with any of the shops I saw today, so I’m going to a different area of Oxford tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. I can only remember one awful time when my salon-hairdo came out so badly that my mom actually sent me flowers. I would love to not repeat that tragedy!
You have so diligently followed our journey and know that we have been witness to the history of England in so many different ways. From castles to thatch roof homes, this country is rich is its beauty and heritage. America is the same. From the Native Americans who proudly blazed the earliest trails for future generations to the pilgrims who pioneered against all odds to build homes and a new life, America has as diverse and exciting heritage as England. But, neither country got where they are today without the pain and suffering of war. Yesterday was Remembrance Day in England, which is like as our upcoming Veteran’s Day in America. It seems odd that fighting is the way to peace, but history proves that many wars did bring peace. With both American and British troops at war even today, let’s pray together that peace is right around the corner.
“May the Master of Peace himself give you the gift of getting along with each other at all times, in all ways. May the Master be truly among you!” II Thessalonians 3:16
Have a great Monday.
Hugs, 2 Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment