Friday, November 27, 2009

Day Fifty-nine No Black Friday in Oxford Day


No black Friday in England since there is no Thanksgiving holiday, but we’ve certainly done our part to boost the struggling British economy during our last eight weeks here. So, today we didn’t shop, but instead took Ryan to Blenheim Palace. Even though we did the tour with Mom and John Luke, it was different today as it was decorated for Christmas. Absolutely beautiful!! It made me all the more eager to get my trees up and decorated. The Palace had more decorated trees that I could count and every table was topped with a Christmas arrangement. Antique toys were scattered beneath the trees and garland draped the staircases and wrapped the edges of dressers and cabinets. Even the busts of famous people were adorned with green wreaths wrapped around their heads (kind of a little strange looking, but I guess if you have a bust in your home, it works). There was evidence of spectacular lighting, but since we were there in daylight hours, we weren’t able to see it first- hand. Ryan’s attention span rivals a busy three- year-old’s and he was even impressed with the tour.
After we returned to Oxford, Ryan and 2 Papa went on down to the Oxford Castle for another tour. This was 2 Papa’s third trip up and down the 101 winding stairs of this former prison which dates back to 1071. Prisoners were kept there until 1996, which is so hard to believe as it’s so archaic. 2 Papa loves learning so he never tires of listening to the tour guides. Someone told him today he could probably guide the tours now. (I’m thinking---don’t tempt him! I’m ready to get home.) While they toured, I did a little laundry and ironed Ryan’s shirt for formal dinner tonight. That’s the first ironing I’ve done in eight weeks. So, I’ve cooked and ironed all in one week. Just call me Suzy Homemaker.
Formal dinner was as usual—good company and good food. Ryan, who never finishes a dessert, loved tonight’s creation and ate the whole thing. Apparently, it is a Regent’s Park tradition and the recipe has been handed down through the years. It was a square, caramel cream, whipped cream and almonds on top, kind-of- pie-thing. Very good. We met another American who was also the speaker at chapel tonight which we always go to before dinner on Friday. It turns out she was one of Kelly’s students at Calvin College. Both were shocked to discover the connection. Speaking of connections, and it’s a small world (we were kind of talking about that, weren’t we?), today I added Sherry (remember the American friends we had Thanksgiving dinner with last night) as a facebook friend. I noticed that one of her friends went to Harding and then I discovered that that friend is a friend of my niece, Jenna Owen. Talk about seven degrees of separation!!!! Whoa, too cool!
Well, my great news for the day is we were able to change our flight home to arrive in Saturday evening instead of Monday morning. That is huge news!! We’ll be able to attend church on Sunday and get lots of hugs and kisses two days sooner from our grandkids. Plus get all the Christmas decorations up on Sunday afternoon. Can’t wait!!
Better go. It’s almost ten o’clock and I have to sort through all our purchases to see what can go back with Ryan. He will go on to London tomorrow afternoon for an early flight out on Sunday. I’m so thankful he was able to bring an extra suitcase. Perfect!
Tonight at chapel, the message was about being content with today, not worrying about yesterday or tomorrow. We just have seven more days in Oxford. I want to enjoy every day and not be so anxious to get home that I don’t appreciate all the many blessings I have gained from being here.
“When you take it all in and settle down, pleased and content, make sure you don't forget how you got there...” Deuteronomy 6:10
Love and see you soon.
Hugs, 2 Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment