Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day Forty-three Errand Day


“When first the Fox saw the Lion he was terribly frightened, and ran away and hid himself in the wood. Next time however he came near the King of Beasts he stopped at a safe distance and watched him pass by. The third time they came near one another the Fox went straight up to the Lion and passed the time of day with him, asking him how his family were, and when he should have the pleasure of seeing him again; then turning his tail, he parted from the Lion without much ceremony. ‘Familiarity Breeds Contempt.’”
I thought of this excerpt from one of Aesop’s Fables as I blended in with the other Europeans and made my way through tiny alleyways, dodging both large buses and small bikes and never making eye contact with those approaching me. Very European, I must say. But for me, familiarity doesn’t breed contempt, more likely it breeds a sense of security. All the errands I had planned to run yesterday were checked off my list today and I couldn’t help but feel more secure as I knew exactly where I was going for every errand. Familiarity breeds security…
The rain had stopped and though cold, it was a bearable day to be out walking. I started the day at 10:00 at the Newcomer’s gathering. It’s a twenty minute walk from our flat, but it passes a beautiful park that we rarely see so through tears I enjoyed the beauty of changing colors once again. I was not crying, but I’ve discovered that my eyes pour as if I’m crying every time we walk in the cold. The only other time I have experienced this is when we ski down a mountain in Colorado, so I’m positive it’s just that I don’t walk in the cold enough at home for this to happen. I will put this to the test when I get home to see what happens. The gathering was fun today and I visited with Lily, a precious young mom who has only been here for eight days. She had her eight year old son and five year old daughter with her as the kids haven’t been admitted to a school yet. She was very eager to get them started. I could see “cabin fever” written all over her face. She’s of Chinese decent living in Australia, but will be in England until next spring. I signed (you never say signed up) for a service project tomorrow. I’m going to make marmalade. I’ll let you know how that goes. It’s never been anywhere on my radar in the past, but if all goes while, you’re likely to get marmalade for Christmas.
After the meeting, I walked on to town and straight to Zara, my favorite store here and in the states. I went for one more turtleneck and walked away with a pair of pants and a cute shirt. Even with the weak dollar, the prices are great. I’m sure that won’t be my last trip. Then, to Mark and Spencers for tights. You hardly see young people in jeans over here. For the most part, they wear thick tights and short skirts or short shorts. I may have told you this before, if so, forgive me. Not that I plan to take to wearing short shorts, but with the temperatures dropping, I did want some of the thicker tights. The salesclerk showed me how to tell the thickness of the tights. She said a school girl’s tights would be 100 denier, but for everyday use 40 or 60 would be fine. I got one of each.
Next, on to the college for lunch and a great visit with Justin and Andrew. Justin is the American I’ve mentioned before and Andrew is British. Andrew began to tell us about deer stalkers. To which I replied, “Do they only stalk the deer or do they kill them?” The entire common’s room laughed. Oh well, we’re not totally English entrenched! I did think that Willie Jess could go with The Deer Stalker, if things seem to not work out with Buck Commander.
Then, we did something rare for us and went to see a film, as they say over here. The film is titled Brightstar, a love story from the life of poet John Keats. It’s very well done, but don’t go expecting an exciting film. It is very true to the time period of early 19th century including its pace. It moves very slowly, but it’s a beautiful movie if you like period films like I do. Films are not well attended over here, from what we can see. We’ve been to both theaters and, unlike Tinseltown at home, there is never a crowd. I’m sure the competition with other amazing events makes a film not so inviting. Or it could be the cost, which I’m sure plays a part as well.
Not yet done with my errands, I took the bus to Summertown, a small little village just a five minute walk from our flat, but since I was at City Center, I took the bus. My goal in Summertown---find a beauty shop. Someone at Newcomers suggested one, so I went straight there. My appointment is at 11:20 on Friday. If it goes bad, I’ll let you know where to send the flowers.
Tonight we’re going to a dinner and lecture starting at 7:45. It will be a late night. I’ll have to blog about it with tomorrow’s blog as it will be too late tonight.
Back to the familiarity breeds contempt quote. I was thinking that familiarity doesn’t just breed security about our surroundings, but also familiarity breeds security with those people surrounding us. The more we get to know someone, even someone great, like Jesus, the more we’re able to feel comfortable around them and know they love us and will protect us. When someone is great for some reason, like a rock star or a great lecturer, those who don’t know them, stand in awe, but those who know them stand beside them as friends and confidants.
“That's why, when I heard of the solid trust you have in the Master Jesus and your outpouring of love to all the followers of Jesus, I couldn't stop thanking God for you—every time I prayed, I'd think of you and give thanks. But I do more than thank. I ask—ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory—to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him—endless energy, boundless strength!”
Ephesians 1:16

Love you all.
Hugs, 2 Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment