Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day Thirty The Day Before Company Day


If you read my blog earlier this week, I think I mentioned a time when one of the colleges here spent a year preparing from the Queen’s visit. Well, it was only one day, but I’ve worked really hard today getting ready for my Queen Mom’s visit tomorrow. She and John Luke (oldest grandchild) leave at five this afternoon and will arrive in London tomorrow at noon. Believe me; there was plenty of floor scrubbing, furniture moving, clothes washing, bed changing, toilet cleaning and trash collecting needed as we’ve ignored all house-cleaning needs for the week with the excuse, “We’ll have to do that before mom gets here, so let’s just wait ‘til Thursday.” But now, our little flat is sparkly clean and company ready. We’re so excited we could hardly go to sleep last night—wait, we do that every night. But still, we are very excited!
We had a great visit at lunch today with three other Americans (talked basketball and all kinds of American stuff) and planned Thanksgiving at our house. Should be interesting! They all want to watch the two Duck Commander TV shows we brought with us. They said that it would take the place of football (not sure everyone would agree with that, but when it’s all you’ve got, you substitute). Of course, there is no Thanksgiving over here so all Americans seem to be on the search for pumpkin pie filling. I heard it can be found at the same store I found peanut butter. Apparently, Palm (the store) has a pretty good racket going, selling American food at outrageous prices. Since I’ve never made pumpkin pie I hope someone else volunteers for that (like I’ve made turkey and dressing!).
After lunch, I had to go to town to buy some reading glasses. I lost mine on the bus last night and since I don’t have even one seeing-eye grandchild (nickname at home since they read the small print for me when we’re out) with me, I had to go replace them quickly or I couldn’t read the menu at supper tonight. Speaking of that, we ate at a place last night that had a slogan that just screamed “2 PAPA.” Here it is: LIVE for now, LOVE forever, EAT for fun. Isn’t that perfect? That could have been his personal life motto. I think it IS his personal life motto. A t-shirt may be in order. On the way to lunch we had to stop by two possible places to eat tonight. Apparently, you can never be over-informed when choosing the next place to eat. He always asked my opinion and for thirty-eight years, I’ve said, “I really don’t care.” And I mean it. Oh yeah, the picture above was a guy entertaining for money in the city today. There’s always something interesting going on.
Tonight we are going to see Lord of the Dance. Again, we just walked passed a theater yesterday and saw it was playing tonight so we got tickets. I know if we lived here for real it would be impossible to do so many things. Our lives would be wrapped up in normal daily life, but for now, we’re taking advantage of having this extra time to see everything we possibly can. We will gladly embrace our normal, busy lives when we get back home, but are very thankful for the opportunities we have now.
When we arrived at college today, the police were there. We understand from others the young lady died from meningitis. That’s really all we heard as most of the faculty was tied up today. All the other colleges have been notified of her death and the meningitis discovery. Thank you for all your prayers and please continue to prayer that no one else comes down with this.
The little entertainer above was quite talented. I watched as he concentrated to combine two talents in one act. Balancing on a tight-wire would be fancy enough, but balance and play the violin—wow! Some would think; it hardly seems fair for him to have two talents when I have none. But the lesson to all of us is the same that was recorded in Matthew 25 in the parable of the talents. Even if we can’t play the violin or balance on a tight rope, are we using the talents we do have?
“His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’” Matthew 25:23
Hope all have a fantastic day! I’m praying for sunshine for the south and the rain to stop.
Much love. Hugs, 2 Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment