Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day Twenty-eight Art Class Day




We skipped lunch at the college today and went to a place we pass each day on our walk to town. See photo above of us eating out. That’s really what we do most, so I thought I had better capture the moment, plus I had a willing waitress. It’s located in an old parsonage house and very elegant. We still have forty-two days left, but I think 2 Papa is concerned we won’t get to eat at every restaurant, pub, diner, stand-on-the-side-of-the-road, and hotel in the city. In fact, we haven’t eaten in the flat in a few days due to this revelation by 2 Papa. We bought bus passes this past week which made it cheaper to ride, so we rode more than we have been doing. But, I’m afraid I’m going to have to ban us (or at least one of us) from the bus, so one of us doesn’t exceed the weight limit on our return flight.
It’s a new adventure everyday so today’s adventure included an art class I heard about from the newcomer’s group. I have never claimed to have any artistic talent. If Mamaw Howard had not shown us paintings she did as a younger woman, I would have been totally baffled as to where Korie got her talent. So, this was something way out of my comfort zone. I was promised that all levels would attend. I’ve since learned that when people say that, it’s like my grandkids telling me the water in the pool “isn’t that cold.” It’s only a ploy to get me to jump in. Off I went, innocently believing others would have the same lack of skill I have. Not true! I was the only novice. In fact, the others were quite accomplished. But, they were very gracious and took me on as their project. I think you can see from the photo above that I did learn something today. WARNING: DON’T READ FURTHER IF YOU ARE A ART LOVER AND WANT TO HAVE YOUR OWN INTERPRETATION OF MY ART. The drawing is of a still life that included a pumpkin (mine started out like a basketball, but became fairly recognizable with some help), a log (not recognizable at all), a purple boa (semi-recognizable if you squint and know what it is) and a scarf (don’t even try). Oh well, as my dad used to say, I gave it the old college try and met some nice older ladies. Who knows, after a few more weeks, I may be ready for my art show (yeah, right).
Tonight we met Kelly for dinner at Jamie’s Italian Restaurant. You may have seen the owner, Jamie Oliver, on TV. He’s the one nicknamed The Naked Chef, has several books, and is on TV often. One of his first books was title The Naked Chef. No, we didn’t see him, but the waitress says he is in quite regularly and no, he isn’t naked when he does come in. The “naked” refers to striping down to the basics of cooking, not stripping down the basics of you-know-what. We went early as it’s very crowded all the time and barely made it in. When we left the line was around the corner. It was probably our best food since we’ve arrived.
Next, off to a rare treat. The Royal Shakespeare Company performed tonight right here in Oxford. Pretty cool. Kelly had gotten a ticket a few weeks ago and then we got ours last week when we heard about it. When we got to the theater we told him that we would see him after the play, knowing our seats weren’t together, and went to the restroom. Then we went to our seats and, believe it or not, they were right next to Kelly. It was very weird!
I hate to brag again, as I know you guys are still getting rain, but we had another day of 62 degrees and no rain. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the same beautiful weather when mom and John Luke get here on Friday. We are having so much fun planning our week next week and can’t wait!
Today in my art class, the teacher kept saying to me, really look at it. She said we’re all used to glancing and not really looking. I thought of how often we glance at God and not stop to really see who He really is.
“Take a long, hard look. See how great he is—infinite, greater than anything you could ever imagine or figure out!” Job 36:26
Much love to all of you.
Hugs, 2 Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment