Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day Twenty-two Separation Day




“This is it! Enough is enough!” I said. “We’ve got to separate.” After twenty-one days glued to each other like fifteen year olds, it was time to go our separate ways. Just kidding, it just so happens that today we actually had different things to do. We now have a few things penciled in on our calendars, just like at home! Except not nearly as busy.
One of the men at the college told me about a newcomers group his wife, Sherry, works with. They have been here for almost four years from the states while he works with the Centre of Anthropology. Sherry emailed me and told me about the weekly meetings, but we were in Scotland last week so I couldn’t attend. So, today was the day to go and I was excited to venture out on my own. As I walked to the University Club I felt the little shy fourth grader in the orange kilt trying to reappear, but I stuffed her back in the past and kept walking. I thought of Rebecca (for those who don’t know, our Taiwan granddaughter who came at 16 to live with Korie and Willie) and how proud I am of her to travel to another country and trust her life to people she had never met. She is a very brave young lady then and now, as it’s been four years and she’s attending LSU, which is like another foreign country, I’m sure.
It was a beautiful day today. After all the rain and wind yesterday, it was quite a relief to walk along the streets at a leisurely pace instead of running with an umbrella, dodging puddles, and steering clear of buses and bicycles whizzing by throwing water everywhere. I’ve learned the city pretty well, but still carried my map 2 Papa drew for me. (However, unlike him, I will stop and ask directions if I need to.) I arrived right on time and went upstairs where there were about 30 women talking. I was asked to wait in the queue to be registered and was thrilled to see that there were other first-timers. So I queued up behind Ashley from Chicago and Clara from Brazil. They are new friends who met at the beginning of the term. Both have boyfriends here studying for a year. Clara was a lawyer in Brazil, but wanted to follow her partner (as she called him). She said she has been very bored since she got here. Both women are probably 29 or 30 years old. I finally found and met Sherry. She’s an adorable, red-head with a great smile and dynamic personality. She was so fun to visit with and gave me more insight into Oxford. We’re going to meet up later for lunch.
After the meeting I headed to the college with one essential stop in mind---the large department store on the corner that’s been calling my name since day one. I entered the front door and looked up at the escalator inviting me into a buyer’s paradise. There, honestly, seemed to be a glow at the top of the escalator. It was wonderful to be surrounded by things made in 2009. I even let the young man who tries to stop you in the mall, stop me. Of course, he’s a different guy, but it’s the same pitch. With more time on my hands here than at home, I bought the nail file plus cuticle conditioner and lotion. I HAD to. It was on special today. (Yeah, right!) Anyway, with only one purchase, but several come-back-tos, I was off to the college for lunch with the usual food and usual crowd. Next, the grocery store. We have learned a lot about groceries since my first report to you and found another grocery store that has different choices, still no Jif or Peter Pan, but more choices of other things. We’re stocked up now until Mom and John Luke come. I might have to request homemade biscuits one morning from Mom. That’s sounding really good. A scone here is similar to our biscuit, but it’s served hard and cold. (Go figure.) They have an okay taste, but would be much better warmed with butter. Of course, it’s better than the bangers, but for the locals, with all the beer, who cares.
This afternoon, I went the other direction to look for a fitness club Sherry told me about. It is only about a seven minute walk and allows guests to pay by the day. Perfect. With all this walking, I’m ready for the next step in exercise. Pilates! 2 Papa said he would pass, that the walking is plenty for him.
2 Papa’s day wasn’t nearly as exciting. In his new role as travel agent, he had to spend the morning trying to figure out the best and most economical way to get us to Ireland. (Mary Lou, where are you?) Then he went to the library to work on his book and on to lunch. For the afternoon, he continued his quest for the best Ireland Adventure and more work on his book. He has also taken on the role of cook while we’re here which means putting a pre-packaged dish in the microwave and making a salad. Since this is a university town, the stores are well-stocked with amazing little pre-packaged dinners. For a guy who actually loves to order food from a catalog, shopping for these dinners is a culinary dream come true. :) On the nights we eat in, he’s the master chef. I take the other days—no cooking involved, just pick a restaurant.
Photos for the day. This lovely skeleton was under that Lord and Lady pictured yesterday. Of course, when 2 Papa saw it he said, “Look. They’ve already made a tomb for you.” Very funny.
Next Photo: The town of Bibury is a must stop in the Cotswolds. This is Arlington Row, a row of cottages converted from a medieval barn to house weavers during the big boom of the wool industry. It is one of the most photographed sites in England.
Yesterday our tour guide pointed out the unbelievable hand-built fences found in the Cotswolds. They were made of stones stacked up to five feet high with nothing to keep them together except their own weight. Some date back to 1100 and still stand. As we passed a section where modern techniques are finally repairing some that have been down for centuries, I thought of Paul’s words.
“I don't want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere. And mark that you do this with humility and discipline—not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences.” Eph. 4:1
Have a great evening.
Hugs, 2 Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment